Monday, October 5, 2009

Blessings and Service

As many of you know, our church and our faith are very important parts of our lives. Our faith in God and His plan for us, especially during these past two months, has comforted and strengthened us. This has been such a blessing to us.
Early on in McKenna's diagnosis, I was reading a magazine that is published by our church called "The Ensign." That day I read a talk by one of our church leaders that really touched me. It was about serving others. He taught that even in times of difficulty, serving others can bless our lives. I really felt that I was meant to read that talk that day. As we have tried to follow this counsel we have found that we are less focused on our own problems and happy being able to make someone elses day a little brighter.
I wanted to mention some of the awesome things some of our friends and family have been doing to serve others that have really inspired me.
McKenna has a sweet group of girlfriends from Northland Christian School. There are 11 girls that have a class at the beginning of the day called "Habitudes." After learning of McKenna's diagnosis they decided to do something to make a difference. They started planning fundraisers in Kenna's name (Kids for Kenna) and are donating the funds to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. They have sold wristbands, soda, and homemade notebooks just to name a few. We are so amazed by these girls and their kindness and determination.
McKenna's friends and teachers from our church have been amazing. They have been so awesome to come over regularly to visit, hang-out, or just watch movies with her. Even though she can't be at church right now, they bring it to her. A couple of weeks ago they brought over t-shirts that they had designed with the logo "Kenna's Girls" on the front and "Kenna Kicks Cancer" on the back. (They were bright pink, of course.) Everyone wore their shirts to school and work the next day. These girls mean so much to us.
My brother Jared and his wife Brittany were recently involved in a big service project in their church. It was called "The Big Give." Families were divided into groups and were asked to come up with some sort of service they could provide for someone else. Jared and Brittany's group decided to provide dinner to the Ronald McDonald House in their area of Boise. Of course we loved this idea. I'm sure those families were thrilled. (Brittany is a good cook!)
Our friend Dallin Sellers was trying to decide on an Eagle Scout project when McKenna was diagnosed. He heard of some of the facilities, like the teen room, at Texas Children's Hospital, and the need for blood donors for so many of these children. He decided to do a combined blood drive and fundraiser/party for his project. I am helping get the word out about the blood drive, so if you are able and interested in donating blood please call me and I'll give you the details.
After crocheting hats for McKenna, I decided it was a good way to pass the time while McKenna is at the clinic on Fridays. My mom has also been crocheting and we have quite a collection of hats now. We have been making fun flowers and bows for the girls to add to them. We will bring them to the clinic with us so McKenna can give them to some of the children there. I think she is excited to be able to do that. (If any of you know how to make cute hair bows...I would love some instruction!)
I am so inspired and thankful for your kind deeds and service. I am recommiting myself to do something everyday to make someone elses life a little better.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Jen! I have 7 more hats and 10 more flowers ready to donate. I think I'll give them to Primary Childrens in Kennas name of course. Brittany was here over the weekend and I taught her to crochet also so she is going to help. How is Kenna feeling after clinic on Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen-This is Shasta Howard- I taught Kenna and Lauren when they were in primary-how they grew up so quickly is unbelievable. I have some knowledge on how to make some bows. Let me know if you are interested.You can email at shasta.howard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete