Sunday, September 20, 2009

Homeschooling McKenna

I just want to report on the first two weeks of homeschooling Kenna and Lauren. They arrive at my apartment every day a little after 8:00. Jen usually drops them off when she takes the others to Abercombie.

We start out with a devotional which is a study of the Life of Christ this year taken from old seminary manuals and Jesus the Christ. Then they go into working on their assigned work. McKenna is doing Algebra with the same book her Dad used as a teen. It is a great book on an honors level that really teaches the concepts creatively. She is taking HS Biology from BYU Home Study so she will get high school credit for Biology.

The rest of the classes we are doing with her cousins in Seattle, Karina and Katie. Amy is teaching Essay Writing, Shakespeare and Grammar/Vocabulary. We are using 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary which I used with my children and is our all time favorite vocabulary book. We are reading As You Like It and writing a descriptive essay. I teach Spanish. They get two classes, one at Kenna's level which is review for Lauren, and then I skipped them ahead to be in the class with the Leonard girls which is just finishing up Spanish I. I can do this because they have so much experience with having heard a lot of Spanish when they were younger, thanks to Rocio. Then I also am teaching history using Abraham's Lincoln's World by Genevieve Foster as a text and jumping off point. Last week we read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. The history also includes some Literature. They have to work hard to keep up with all the assignments. For each class they have a couple of hours of class over the phone and then assignments to complete before the next class.

This system gives McKenna a place to go away from home, some contact with others over the phone and will give her a couple of high school credits for next year. She is so smart and organized. She loves organizing and decorating her notebooks. She gets dressed to the hilt everyday even though it is just for us. She never complains and can rest when she needs. She can lay on the couch and still do her work. She is so positive and grateful. I love her more each day.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are able to do this. This certainly is a blessing to your grandchildren. Thanks for being here look forward to getting to know you better.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you explained the home school routine. I've been wondering how you handle it all. It sounds like a marvelous plan!
    p.s. We found a spot for our garden and my 13 year old can hardly wait to dig up some grass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What an amazing education the girls are getting! Ginger, I so admire your passion for educating children and your incredible expertise. Big hugs to all Becksteads and let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Southwest Houston isn't too far away:) McKenna is in our family's prayers daily.
    Jenny Bustos

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing! I am so excited to hear all of the things that both of the girls are learning! I am jealous! Maybe I can stop by sometime for class!
    Emily Williams

    ReplyDelete