Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Hobbies...

Since I've been home a lot, I have been trying to think of different things to learn how to do. I have been doing a lot of cooking, knitting, crocheting, and pamper "parties."

On Monday, I learned how to make french bread, (which my Grandma Becky taught me how to do.) It got a little messy, but it was really fun.


I also learned how to knit a coin purse. It was really cool to learn how to make that. My future knitting projects will include a sunglasses case, a scarf, and a normal purse.

On Tuesday night, my grandparents (Beckstead) moved some of their stuff into their new apartment. They stayed the night, so in the morning, I made them blueberry streusel coffee cake for breakfast. Everyone said it was really yummy so if you want to try out the recipe, here it is:

BLUEBERRY STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE

Ginger Beckstead

1 1/2 c. flour

1/2 c. sugar
2t. baking powder
1 egg
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
4 T
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. blueberries

Sift dry ingredients. Cream butter with sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries. Put in a Pam sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle with streusel. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. I double and triple this recipe using a rectangular cake pan for as many as triple. It can also be used to make muffins but I like the cake better because it is easier. I use frozen blueberries usually.


Streusel Nut Topping:

2 T. butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. chopped pecans

Soften butter and stir in other ingredients.

At night, my friend Lauren came over with her mom, Amysue, and they brought over these wristbands that says: Kenna kicks Cancer (in pink!) I am passing them out to anyone who wants one, so if you want one, then let me know.

After they left, we got a little creative and made our own natural beauty products. We made face exfoliaters, (out of yogurt, honey, and sugar) face masks, (of avacodoes and honey) and even wore cucumbers on our eyes. It was pretty fun:)

Today, in the morning, my aunt, Amy came over. It was really fun. She did my hair and my makeup. Then, when my mom and grandma came back from getting the crochet stuff, we had a picnik outside in the backyard. Really fun. When we came back inside, I learned how to crochet. Right now, I am working on a hat that I can wear whenever I loose my hair. It is super cute. My mom and grandma have already finished one. We're making them in white, black, gray, green, pink, brown, blue, and any other cute colors. We are also getting cute bows and flower pins to stick in the hats. We got the idea when we were in the hospital and we saw the cutest little girl who was always wearing a "flapper hat" (as they are called.) So, we decided we would try to make them and it worked! I am doing really good right now, and will be going to the clinic tomorrow to get chemotherapy again. I will try to keep you posted.

Love,
Kenna!!

12 comments:

  1. Kenna! I would absolutly love one of those bracelets! Lauren told me about them at church on Sunday and I thought it was really cute and that I had to have one :). Do you think I could have 2 - for me and Melanie?
    Thanks! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hearing about your day! You recipe sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one busy girl! Sounds like so much fun. You are going to have to teach your friends in YW some of your new skills. Can't wait to see your hats, they sound so cute. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I just happen to have some extra blueberries so I think I will make the cake.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear all the fun things you are doing! I'm glad you are having fun! I've heard you are a really good cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love the recipes! Keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see a picture of you in one of the hats. Also take a picture of the cute coin purse. It was sooo cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to hear that you are learning new and fun things to do. I would love to see a picture of everything you have made and are making. I'm definitely going to make the coffee cake recipe you posted. Love you and I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also - I would love a bracelet! If you still have one available. Would you please send one home with Grandma and I will arrange picking it up from her. Thanks - Britt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you and Melanie can have one. I'll try to send a few of the wristbands with Lauren Christiansen on Sunday or something so she could pass them out to some of the young women.
    And I'll send some back with Grandma for you, Brittany, and for Jeff and Megan's family.
    I tried to upload all the pictures we took but, it's a little tricky, so we are going to try to do that as soon as we can. And I'll show everyone my hats. They are so cute:) I wore a pink one with a white flower in it yesterday...
    I love you all!
    Love, Kenna!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are able to keep busy doing such good things! Good for you! Good luck on the chemo today and I am definitely printing off that recipe. Thanks! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That recipe looks SO good! I'm going to have to try it out. And I'm so jealous that you get to try out all these new hobbies. I need to take the time to do more things like that.

    Your hat's sound great. I've seen a lot of them around on-line. :-) And if you have a spare bracelet I'd love to wear one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMMMM the struesel looks amazing! I would love to have a bracelet if you have a spare! I can stop by anytime! Emily

    ReplyDelete