Thursday, August 20, 2009

Word of the Day and Homeschool

Word of the Day: Neutrophil - the white blood cell that fights infection.

I had never used the word neutrophil before McKenna was diagnosed with cancer. It is now a word that we are very familiar with, and are concerned about every day. McKenna gets blood taken quite often. When they take her blood there are 3 things in particular that they are checking. Her hemoglobin count, her platelet count, and her absolute neutrophil count (ANC). A normal person's ANC can be anywhere between 1800 and 8000. When McKenna left the hospital after her first round of chemo it was 40. After the second round it was 0. When her ANC is extremely low, she is at a high risk for infection. We will see it rise and fall throughout her treatment.

McKenna was planning on attending KLEB Intermediate school this year. While she is receiving chemo the doctors don't want her attending school until her ANC is up quite a bit. Many of you may know that I was going to homeschool Lauren this year with the help of my mother-in-law, Ginger. When we received Kenna's diagnosis I knew that was going to be very difficult. When Ginger came to the hospital I asked her what I was going to do about Lauren's schooling. She said, "I'm moving here and I will homeschool her." She will actually be homeschooling Lauren and McKenna. This will allow McKenna to prepare to enter high school next year, and take honors classes while there. We are SO grateful for this sacrifice. It is such a relief to know that will be taken care of, and taken care of so well.



8 comments:

  1. That is so great to have such a great support system! We wish we could do more from Utah. Please let us know if there is anything we can do! Tell McKenna Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that your MIL is willing to do that for her. I'm sure she will be very prepared for High School next year. I'm kinda freaking our about Andrew going THIS year!

    I hope McKenna is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Ginger! And yay for you and your family, Jen, for taking such good care of McKenna. We love you so much and there is not a prayer said in our house that doesn't include y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it nice to know that Ginger has been prepared for this time in your life. How blessed your family is. I know the girls will love their teacher and will excell beyond measure. Can't wait to see those numbers come up. It's an exciting time. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hope her count will come up quickly. My mom's a fantastic teacher, I'm glad she will be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope McKenna will get better quickly.

    Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the ANC lesson Jen. I hope her count increases soon so her risk of infection will lower too. I hope you are all holding up o.k. You are in our prayers continually. Please let me know if we can do ANYTHING to help...even just keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pics! Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad you all had some fun there! I'm so glad McKenna is surrounded by such caring family and great doctors too.

    ReplyDelete