Thursday, August 13, 2009

SIDE-EFFECTS OF PREDNISONE

One of the side-effects of the prednisone McKenna is taking is creating an insatiable appetite. McKenna has always enjoyed a good meal, but it has been really fun watching her get excited about food. On our way home from the hospital she started getting excited seeing all the restaurants and thinking of what she wanted to eat next. She even wrote her "Food Wish List" in a journal she is keeping. She does have to watch her sugar intake as her blood sugar level is a bit high. (Another side-effect of prednisone.)
Tomorrow we will go to the Cancer Clinic at Texas Children's Hospital for the first time. She will get another dose of chemo meds. She is feeling quite good. Just starting to feel a bit nauseated during the day. Hopefully she'll feel good over the weekend.
It has been hard being so careful with who comes over. I know there are so many people that want to come and see her, but we have to be ultra cautious about germ exposure. She has no immune system right now. We have Purell laying all over the house. Hooray for Purell!

3 comments:

  1. i had to go on prednosone for something a while back. it sucks. the worst part for me was the emotional side effects, crying at every little thing and then laughing my face off. good luck, read my blog ? (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it's hard not letting people come over, I'm sure tons of people want to come visit.

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. jen, kenn'as appetite reminds me of yours when you were a teen. The haircut is so dang cute. When I saw the pic I totally thought is was you for a second. you look alot alike. love you guys. and thanks for taking the time to post and share with us.

    ReplyDelete